I am purchasing a property to let out and I need insurance. Can you help me?

Yes we can offer competitive quotes for all types of Property Owner Risks and full details can be found in our Insurance Products section.

What is underinsurance?

Underinsurance is one of the main commercial risks to business is underinsurance. It is important that the correct sums insured are set, as having accurate sums insured is vital to guarantee receiving the full amount in the event of a claim. Moreover directors, trustees and others who are responsible for arranging insurance can find that they are liable if they have not taken steps to arrange and maintain adequate cover. Please go to downloads – Newsletter – Underinsurance for full details.

What does COSHH stand for?

Control of Substances Hazardous to Health. Full details of what this means to your business can be found on www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/index.htm

What does CDM mean?

Construction, Design and Management – Everyone controlling site work has health and safety responsibilities. Checking that working conditions are healthy and safe before work begins, and ensuring that the proposed work is not going to put others at risk, require planning and organisation. This applies whatever the size of the site. Full details can be found on www.hse.gov.uk/construction/cdm.htm.

What are my duties as a landlord in relation to gas safety?

You have duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, appliances and flues, which you own and have provided for your tenants use. You must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. You must keep a record of the safety check for 2 years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

What does LEV stand for?

Local Exhaust Ventilation – The HSE takes a strong line where there is exposure to wood dust as it can cause serious health problems. It can be a cause of asthma and carpenter and joiners are four times more likely to get it compared with other UK workers. Hardwood dust can also cause cancer, particularly of the nose.

Exposure to wood dust must be kept as far below the 5mg/m3 Workplace Exposure Limit (WEL) as possible. The best means of achieving this is by having well designed and maintained LEV.

It is a legal requirement to have LEV systems examined by a competent person at least every 14 months to make sure that it is still working properly. Unfortunately, when HSE Inspectors go to woodworking premises they often find that the examination has not taken place. Full details can be found at www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/focuson.htm

Why should I consider Business Fraud cover?

We have a Newsletter detailing why we believe you should consider this cover and this can be found in the Download section.

I have noticed that you are registered with the FSA and BIBA what does this mean?

Being registered and authorised with the FSA means that we can offer regulated product. Full details can be found on the FSA site www.fsa.gov.uk.

BIBA members provide professional advice to businesses and consumers, playing a key role in identification, measurement, management, control and transfer of risk. They negotiate appropriate insurance protection tailored to individual needs and operate to a very high standard of customer service with the aim of ensuring peace of mind, security, financial protection and the professional advice required – www.biba.org.uk.

SORN & MID ( The Motor Insurance Database) Regulations and what do I have to do?

For full details of new SORN laws effective from June 2011:-       www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured

For full details of MID ( Motor Insurance Database) requirements:-